Saturday, June 7, 2008

Favorite Authors


Stole this meme from Kiwiria. :)

1. Who's your all-time favourite author and why?

Hands down, no hesitation needed, it's Laura Ingalls Wilder. Why? Although I love to read, I'm not a big rereader. If I really enjoyed a book, I may reread it a few years later. There are only a handful of books that I've read more than 2 or 3 times in my life. But the "Little House" books? Rereads must number over a hundred at least. I never ever tire of reading them. They bring the Ingalls family to life, and make them dear friends. Pa's fiddle never fails to move me to dance with joy or to wipe away tears of nostalgia. I rely on their wisdom in sticky situations, their patience in tribulation, their laughter in hard times, their love of family for comfort and a sense of belonging. These books, and their author, have shaped my life in numerous ways, including bringing me some of my dearest friends, who share a love of Laura. :)

2. Who was your first favourite author and why?

It may have been Laura. :) However, I will have to go with H.A. Rey, because I am reported to have wanted nothing else for my third Christmas than Curious George books. Which, at that time, my mother had great difficulty locating. But she searched every store in town and finally found them, so it was a merry Christmas for me and George. :)

3. Who's your most recent addition to your most favourite authors and why?

Francine Rivers. Why? Because on the recommendation of a friend, I read Redeeming Love about a year ago, and absolutely could not put it down. It's been awhile since I've found a book THAT good, outside of Harry Potter. I went on to read her other novels and found each of them to be the same -- compelling living stories that keep you eager to learn what happens next.

4. If someone asked you who your favorite authors were right now, which authors would first pop out of your mouth? Are there any you'd add on a moment further reflection?

First ones that always come to mind are Laura Ingalls Wilder, L.M. Montgomery, and Louisa May Alcott. When I stop to think about it, I add Corrie ten Boom, Karen Kingsbury, Francine Rivers, J.K. Rowling, Beverly Lewis, and Janette Oke. Really, I'd best add William Anderson to the list too. :)

No comments: