Monday, September 15, 2008

33 Miles


On the eve of 33 Miles' new release, I thought I'd reflect a bit... on their music, and their name.

33 miles... it represents the 33 years Jesus walked on this earth. The significance of what He accomplished in those 33 years and its continued effect on us a couple thousand years later is nothing short of miraculous.

That number has special meaning to me right now. Why?

I'm 33 years old.

Obviously there's no comparison -- He's God, of course He made a huge impact. But if I'm to be Christ-like, shouldn't my life be having some great impact, as well? I think it should. And now I've had the same amount of time on earth as He has.

That's a little frightening.

I mean, I can look back on my life and see some good things. The good decisions I made. The good effects I've had on some people.

Unfortunately, though, looking back also drudges up so not-so-great things that I'd rather not remember. But I must remember them, so the next time I'm faced with similar choices, I don't make the same mistakes.

I love the chorus of 33 Miles' new song "One Life to Love". I like the whole song, but the verses don't really apply to me... but the chorus applies to us all.

"We only get just one time around... one life to love."

You can listen to it below -- you can hear it on their website linked above too but the traffic seems to be a little high tonight and it's not always loading well.

The way I see it, I can't change what I've done with the 33 years of my life that I've lived so far -- but I can do something about however much time I have left.

I've been wrestling with some decisions lately over how best to handle some situations with some different people, and I think this just answered my question. I'm simply going to choose to love... and I think the rest will take care of itself.





2 comments:

kittyhox said...

Hi! Totally off-topic comment. :)

Thank you so much for your valuable insight re: our preschool concerns. I think you are exactly right. I really appreciated your comment and it helped me to realize that preschool isn't really necessary or even desirable for my son at this age, especially since he's not a particularly mature two-year-old. I feel way better about following my instincts and worrying about "classroom skills" and peer socialization when he's a bit older. Right now I'm just going to enjoy these last few months of babyhood.

Thank you again!

Maria said...

Ooh, I got goosebumps all over. Amazing song.